Friday, July 17, 2015

(How To Stay Safe When Storms Decide To) Flashdance!

Good morning, Charlotte!

Over the past few weeks, Molly and I have been rockin' and rollin' with Red Cross' and Disney's Pillowcase Project, a preparedness presentation aimed at 3rd through 5th grades. Thanks so much to every site that has hosted us; we truly have an amazing time working together, with other Red Cross volunteers, and with our host sites to bring some fun learning about how to be ready for everything to willing young ears!

With this, one component of the preparedness presentation does allow for the presenter to talk about specific local hazards, and Molly and I love to talk about thunderstorm safety. Imagine my happiness this morning when I found that the front page of NPR's website included an article using our favorite catch phrase: "When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!"

To read the article, click here!

The article from NPR covers a lot of really important points about thunderstorm safety. For example, while many people think (and rightly so) that lightning strikes cause mainly burns, lightning is actually quite likely to cause brain damage, damaging nerves and causing chronic pain that can potentially last for life. It's definitely an interesting read about a very real danger in almost everyday life here in the Southeast.

Looking for some extra tips on thunderstorm safety to share with you and yours? Check out these awesome pages from Red Cross!

For thunderstorm and lightning safety tips, click here!

And for another recent article with our favorite catch phrase from Red Cross, click here!

And since I'm feeling myself with some 1980's cheesy realness at my desk this morning, I feel like I must share the music in my earbuds with you. Enjoy some Flashdance, and stay safe, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment