Wednesday, January 7, 2015

(During This Cold Snap, I'm Thankful for Every) Paperback Writer

Good afternoon, Charlotte!

With the impending doom forecasted by our local meteorologists regarding tonight's 10 degree temperatures, I decided that my warm and toasty apartment will be the spot to spend all of my time outside of this office. I know I've said it a million times by this point, but PLEASE stay indoors as much as possible as we enter bitter wind chill territory tonight, and be sure you are dry and well-insulated if you do have to venture outdoors.

All that said, if you're like me and have no plans to venture out into the cold, you might also be interested in some tasty reading material to enjoy with your coffee, hot chocolate, bourbon or tequila or whatever it is you like to enjoy in your spare time. I found two books through the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library that I am all too excited to share with you as I start them over the next few evenings. The first, Inevitable City by Scott Cowen and Betsy Seifter, addresses the recovery effort in post-Katrina New Orleans and the implications for urban disaster recovery in the future. The second, The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes and Why by Amanda Ripley, addresses exactly what the title implies. Nothing like some emergency preparedness knowledge on a cold night! I have pictures of the front covers below, and I promise you Charlotteans that there are plenty copies to go around if you check out your local library branch. And if you happen to have any great emergency and disaster preparedness reads to share, please comment or message me! There is no end to the knowledge we can find.




And naturally, since cold snaps put me into a mood for some mellow classics, here's a Beatles track for your day as well:




Stay safe and warm tonight, Charlotte!


No comments:

Post a Comment